This giant plant was founded in 1931 by Grigory Ordzhonikidze, who signed an order for its construction. A total of one year was devoted to its construction – this is actually an impressive speed at that time. The management of the plant was handed over to Yakiv Vesnyk.
There is an interesting story behine the choice of the plant location, since there are numerous requirements for such a place. After consultationting with the specialists, several proposals were rejected, including the restructuring of the existing iron and steel plant. At the end the future location of the strategic site was chosen by the territory near the station Chervona. The construction work was done by political prisoners, as well as Americans and Germans workers. At the last stage of construction, foreign masters were sent home – by the decision of Vesnyk.
In August 1934 the blast furnace was first launched, and by the year 1940 another three were built. During the war, the plant was destroyed, but after the war has ended, Kryvorizhstal was in a priority for recovery – blast furnaces were supposed to give iron. Most of the equipment was taken out before military operations took place, but when new technologies were restored, the plant was greatly increased, new guilds appeared.
Now, the plant became an object for excursions: many people want to see with their own eyes, the work of this giant. At present, the company's owner is Mittal Steel Germany GmbH.